Updates and Reminders
- Parents/Guardians who ordered #chooseKIND shirts, please be advised that we are waiting for the company to let us know that the next order is ready for pick-up and/or delivery. We are hoping they will be ready soon so that everyone can participate in #chooseKIND Mondays. We ask for your patience a bit longer and thank you for supporting such a worthy cause.
- The first PTA/Class Parents meeting will be held on October 3rd at 8:30am in the PTA room (205). Class Parents, please email the PTA to confirm whether you will attend or not. In your email, include your name, contact information, and which class you’re representing. Thank you for volunteering and we look forward to seeing you all at the meeting.
- NYS ELA & Math Test Results were posted online last week. Parents/guardians of 3–8 grades students can login to My Student Account to see how their children performed. If you need help signing up for an online account with the DOE, please call the school’s main office to get your password.
- Our Wicked Stitches Spirit Wear Shop is open through October 10th. Orders’ pick-up and delivery will begin October 25th and you will be notified via email or text when your order is ready. For any questions or concerns, please contact Wicked Stitches directly at 718-420-0240 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Staten Island Family Fun Day will be held on October 13th, 10am to 2pm, at PS 41 located at 216 Clawson Street, SI 10306. Activities will include crafts, prizes, giveaways, and snacks; as well as performances by bands, dancers, and singers from various public schools. Our Middle School Dance Club will be among the performers, so make sure to stop by the event and cheer them on!
- Class of 2019 Information Night will be held on October 16th, at 6pm in our school’s Gymatorium. 8th grade parents and guardians are invited to this important meeting, where various topics will be discussed including: senior dues, expenditures, and expectations; as well as high school applications, ARISTA requirement, senior trip, and behavior contracts.
- World’s Finest Chocolate fundraiser is ongoing until October 19th. The price is $60 per box. Checks or money orders are payable to ‘PS 48 PTA’. The top seller in the school will be announced before Halloween and will win an X-box One! Thank you for supporting our school and good luck to everyone!
- PS/IS 48’s Annual Fall Festival will be held on October 20th, 11am to 3pm, in our school yard. Admission is $1/person at the door and the event is open to the public. Bring your family and friends for a fun-filled day of food, drinks, pumpkins, games, arts and crafts, sand art, face painting, photo booth, music, 50/50 drawing and so much more! Volunteers willing to help out before, during, or after the event, please email Kerin Hilton at email@example.com (don’t forget to include the time you’re available to help). Also, Fall Festival donation forms are due to the PTA by October 16th; donations and/or items for the Rummage Table can be dropped off by the security desk the week of October 15th–19th.
- The Italian Festival at The Mount will take place Columbus Day Weekend, October 5th to 7th, at 6581 Hylan Blvd, SI 10309 (see flyer for hours). The festival will feature food, live music, vendors, rides, games, and more! Parking is free and entry is $5 donation/person.
- The Greenbelt’s Annual Pumpkin Festival will be held October 6th, 12pm to 4pm, at Willowbrook Park. Pumpkins will be for sale on a first come/first served basis. The Festival will include family friendly activities such as I Fish NY, face painting, and a visit from Quiver Farms Petting Zoo between 1pm and 3pm.
- The Staten Island Zoo will host Family Science Day on October 7th, 12pm to 3pm. There will be tons of fun activities, including keeper talks, animal encounters, biofact exploration, mini investigations, Gyotaku fish printing, and more! PS/IS 48 students and families can use the attached voucher to attend. Although the activities specific to the event will run 12pm to 3pm, the vouchers will be accepted all day from 10am to 4:45pm.
- The Staten Island Zoo will host Spooktacular, October 13th and 14th, 5pm to 8:30pm. Tickets are $19 for members and $24 for non-members. The Halloween-themed event will include trick or treat zones, free carousel rides, Halloween Town, Monster Alley, Enchanted Forest, Candy Land, Zoo Family Feud, costume contests, and more. For tickets, call 718-815-0412.
- Pumpkin Picking at Decker Farm will be held weekends in October, 10am to 4pm, at 435 Richmond Hill Road, SI 10314. Tickets are $6 – $20 and include: pumpkins picking from the patch, taking a spin around the farm in a tractor-pulled hay ride, hip-high kid's maze, feeding the farm animals, kids’ crafts and activities, food trucks, ice cream, s’mores and cider!
Important dates to keep in mind…
- Oct. 03: PTA/Class Parents Meeting at 8:30am in room 205
- Oct. 08: School Closed – Columbus Day
- Oct. 10: Deadline to send 2018-19 PTA dues. Checks payable to ‘PS 48 PTA’
- Oct. 10: SLT Meeting at 6pm followed by PTA Meeting at 7:30pm
- Oct. 13: SI Family Fun Day at PS 41, 10am to 2pm
- Oct. 15–19: Drop off Fall Festival items/donations by security desk
- Oct. 16: Deadline to send Fall Festival donation forms
- Oct. 16: Class of 2019 Information Night at 6pm in Gymatorium
- Oct. 19: World’s Finest Chocolate fundraiser ends. Checks payable to ‘PS 48 PTA’
- Oct. 20: PS/IS 48’s Annual Fall Festival, 11am to 3pm