Updates and Reminders for November
- Another successful Fall Festival is in the books! Thank you to everyone who came to support our school, those who volunteered their time to help out, and for all the generous donations. A special thank you to our Fall Festival Coordinator Kerin Hilton, as well Kim Spagnuolo, for their amazing efforts. We hope everyone had a great time!
- Congratulations to our 5th grade student, Maksim K, top seller at our World’s Finest Chocolate Bars Fundraiser and winner of the X-Box One! And thank you to everyone who participated; your support was greatly appreciated.
- Fall Picture Day is November 8th for Pre-K to 4th grades and November 9th for 5th to 7th grades. You can send payment with your child (checks payable to Lifetouch) on their Picture Day, or shop online for more looks and digital products. Our school’s Picture Day ID is: AL208218Q0.
- The Fall Book Fair will be held on November 13th and 14th during school hours, as well as on November 14th evening following our PTA monthly meeting. Please keep in mind that NYS taxes will be added to everything sold at the Fair.
- The feedback we received from our members shows an overwhelming support to changing the PTA monthly meetings’ time to 6:30pm, instead of the current time of 7:30pm. Therefore, our PTA monthly meetings will be moved up one hour to 6:30pm on November 14th. During the meeting, a final vote will be held to amend the PTA bylaws and make the change permanent. We hope to see you all at the meeting for this important vote.
- The PTA’s current Recording Secretary has elected to step down and the position could not be filled by succession. Therefore, the Nominating Committee will hold an expedited election to fill the position of Recording Secretary on the PTA Executive Board during our November 14th meeting at 6:30pm. As per PS/IS 48’s bylaws, any parent/legal guardian of a student currently attending PS/IS 48 is eligible to run (with the exception of school employees). Anyone who wishes to run MUST attend the November 14th meeting, where nominations will be taken directly from the floor. If multiple candidates run for the position, written ballots will be used, tallied, and the results will be announced before the end of our meeting. The PTA encourages everyone to attend this important meeting, and anyone considering running for the position to review our PS/IS 48 PTA bylaws and Chancellor’s Regulation A-660 beforehand.
- November 15th will be a half-day; all students will be dismissed at 11:20am. Parent-Teacher Conferences will be held over two sessions: the afternoon session from 12:20pm to 2:20pm and the evening session from 5pm to 8pm. Please note that there are no appointments for the Atlas Academy, and that Middle School teachers’ conferences are limited to 5 minutes. NYCID, SONYC, COMPASS, and all clubs will be cancelled that day. More information to follow soon.
- Staten Island Fall Food Truck Festival at the Staten Island Mall will be held on November 3rd and 4th, from 1pm to 10pm, at 2655 Richmond Avenue. The price is $5 for an all-day admission per adult, kids 12 & under enter free. The event will include food trucks, inflatable rides for the kids, DJ & live entertainment, etc.
- Daylight Saving Time ends on November 4th. Don’t forget to set your clocks back 1 hour at 2am on Sunday, or before you go to bed on Saturday. This is also the perfect opportunity to change the batteries on all your smoke and carbon monoxide alarms.
- New York City Marathon will be held on Sunday, November 4th. More than 50,000 runners are expected to take part in the world’s largest marathon; and road closures are scheduled for all five boroughs to accommodate participants from 125 countries to partake in the 26.2-mile course. There will be four wave starts for runners, preceded by starts for professional wheelchair athletes, handcycles, and some professional athletes. The first start time is at 8:30am, while the last wave goes off at 11am. With Staten Island serving as the starting line, expect closures on the VNB and the SIE for several hours on November 3rd and November 4th… The VNB will be completely closed to all traffic on November 4th, from 7am to 3pm. On November 3rd, the VNB’s Upper Level will be closed in both directions at 11pm, and will remain closed until 3pm on November 4th. Bay Street and Lily Pond Avenue exits of the SIE will be closed from 3am to approximately 3pm on November 4th.
- For students in Pre-K to 2nd grades, the deadline to sign up for the Gifted and Talented Test is November 9th, 2018. The test will be administered in January 2019.
- Staten Island Tech HS will host the AIA Spaghetti–Marshmallow Building Contest on November 13th at 6pm for 2nd to 8th grade students. Awards of $200, $100, & $75 gift cards will be awarded to the top three entries in each category with additional prizes being awarded for honorable mentions. Best in show prize award will be: Oculus Rift Touch Virtual Reality System and a $200 Gift card. In addition to the competition, the event will serve as a mini Open House for SITHS’s STEAM Programs.
Important dates to keep in mind…
- Nov. 4: Daylight Saving Time ends
- Nov. 6: Election Day – Students not in attendance
- Nov. 7: 3rd grade Veterans Day Celebration, followed by Veterans Breakfast in the library
- Nov. 8: Picture Day for Pre-K to 4th grades
- Nov. 9: Picture Day for 5th to 7th grades
- Nov. 12: School closed – Veterans Day observed
- Nov. 13–14: Fall Book Fair during school hours, and following PTA meeting on Nov. 14th
- Nov. 14: SLT meeting at 5pm, followed by PTA meeting (EXPEDITED ELECTIONS) at 6:30pm
- Nov. 15: Early dismissal at 11:20am, followed by Parent-Teacher Conferences at 12:20–2:20pm & 5–8pm
- Nov. 16: Career Day – Dress as your favorite career and earn 5 ROAR bucks (note date change from Nov. 9 due to Picture Day)